Die Weste of Westerse wêreld verwys na Europa en 'n groep gemeenskaplike lande. Die terme awendland en aandland (Latyn: occidens, "sonsondergang, Weste") verwys na Europa in 'n digterlike konteks. Die idee van 'n Westerse deel van die wêreld begin by die Grieks-Romeinse beskawing, Judaïsme, en Christendom.
- Religions in Global Society – p. 146, Peter Beyer – 2006
- Cambridge University Historical Series, An Essay on Western Civilization in Its Economic Aspects, p. 40: Hebraism, like Hellenism, has been an all-important factor in the development of Western Civilization; Judaism, as the precursor of Christianity, has indirectly had had much to do with shaping the ideals and morality of western nations since the christian era.
- Caltron J.H Hayas, Christianity and Western Civilization (1953), Stanford University Press, p. 2: That certain distinctive features of our Western civilization — the civilization of western Europe and of America— have been shaped chiefly by Judaeo–Graeco–Christianity, Catholic and Protestant.
- Horst Hutter, University of New York, Shaping the Future: Nietzsche's New Regime of the Soul And Its Ascetic Practices (2004), p. 111: three mighty founders of Western culture, namely Socrates, Jesus, and Plato.
- Fred Reinhard Dallmayr, Dialogue Among Civilizations: Some Exemplary Voices (2004), p. 22: Western civilization is also sometimes described as "Christian" or "Judaeo-Christian" civilization.